Wednesday 10 August 2011

Student Lighting Awards










Where the inspiration came for the shape of the final light


My first year at Nottingham Trent was full of opportunities to enter competitions and a few live projects. This time it was the student lighting awards my third project at university. I have designed a lot of products and furniture and never a piece of lighting. I choose to design a type of desk lamp. I then looked at new technologies, such as LED bulbs that are better for the environment. I then moved onto the actual design of the light. Looking at past winners and entrances from Trent and changing to how I would seem better. This evolved a lot of sketch models to get the right scale and design shapes that I wanted for a desk lamp.

Here are my final boards. I had to redo the design, boards and model within 2 days. Im not as happy with the final design because I would of liked it in wood to give it a more eco friendly feel not just from the technology used. I could have maybe included mains to power the light but was inspired from watch batteries from one of the sponsors of the competition. This has left me wanting to improve my design or a new design for the next student lighting awards. To view this years and other winners go to http://www.lightingassociation.com/awards-2011/

No comments:

Post a Comment